Mental Health & Wellness

    PAW organizes a variety of social and professional events throughout the year. Here you can find a list of various health and wellness resources available to Postdoctoral Scholars both through UWO and off-campus. 

    Living Well @ Western is a series of activities open to faculty, staff and students who are looking to be more active and reduce stress levels.

    Western University Health & Wellness is the university-wide Health & Wellness office. 

     Jump to: Helplines | Health Services @ Western | Wellness Services @ Western | Off-campus Community Services


    Live answer 24 hrs/7 days, confidential and free

    • Campus Emergency Response: 911 (campus phone)
    • London Emergency Response: 911 (non-campus phone)
    • Mental Health Crisis Response Line: 519-433-2023
    • Sexual Assault Centre Crisis Support Line: 519-438-2272
    • Mental Health Helpline*: 1-866-531-2600 
    • Drug and Alcohol Helpline*: 1-800-565-8603                                    
    • Ontario Problem Gambling Helpline*: 1-888-230-3505

    Will refer you to the closest service/crisis centre in your area

    Health Services @ Western

    Staff/Faculty Family Practice Clinic (FPC)

    Postdocs either on their own or with their family are eligible to be seen in the Family Practice clinic. The clinic prefers that postdocs will remain at Western for at least one year to register with this clinic. Please apply and register when you arrive on campus. Access is by appointment only.

    Visit: University Community Centre, Room 25 (lower level)
    Hours: Moday - Friday, 9 am - 4 pm

    Wellness Services @ Western

    Western links:

    Wellness  |  Mental Health

    Mental Health Support

    Hours: Monday - Friday, 9 am - 4 pm 

    Campus Recreation Center/Gym Services

    The fee for postdoctoral scholars is a flat rate of $27.56/month or $248.26/year.

    Ergonomics & Rehabilitation Services

    Call: 1-844-880-9142 
    Support Services Building, Room 4159

    • Promotes health and wellness
    • Provides support regarding medical absence and accommodation
    • Provides assistance with accessing support and resources
    • May refer you to Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) for confidential counselling on couple issues, family troubles, parenting, stress, alcohol and drug issues, finances, grief, depression or coping with illness

    Equity and Human Rights Services

    Call: 519-661-3334
    Visit: Somerville House, Rooms 2319

    • Western ensures that each individual has genuine access to employment opportunities that are free from artificial barriers, systemic or otherwise
    • This office implements the University's policies on harassment, discrimination and employment equity
    • They provide confidential assistance, advice, filing complaints and mediation services 

    Family Support

    Information on community and Western resources available to individuals at various life stages.

    Jennifer Holburn
    Faculty Recruitment Consultant
    519-661-2111 (84366)

    Connie Zrini
    Faculty Recruitment Consultant

    International and Exchange Student Centre (IESC)

    The IESC offers a full range of programs and services to support international scholars during their stay at Western.

    Call: 519-661-2111 (89309)
    Second floor, International and Graduate Affairs Building (IGAB)
    Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

    Off-Campus Community Services

    The Mental Health & Addictions Crisis Centre

    Open 24/7 for walk in crisis assessment and support
    Call: 519-434-9191
    Visit: 648 Huron St, London, ON

    The centre offers immediate crisis assessment, intervention, stabilization and links to community resources for:

    • a serious mental health or addiction 
    • a situational crisis
    • risk of self-harm or harm to others
    • emotional trauma
    • agitation and sleeplessness
    • severe depression or anxiety
    • psychosis
    • symptoms of substance abuse use withdrawl and needing support
    • suicidal thoughts
    • crisis resulting from a gaming/internet disorder or problem gambling

    Canadian Mental Health Association CMHA Crisis Services

    • Nation-wide organization that promotes the mental health of all
    • Supports recovery of people experiencing mental illness

    Crisis Services Canada

    Crisis Services Canada offers support to anyone concerned about suicide.

    Available 24/7 
    Call: 1-833-456-4566

    211 Ontario

    Dial 211 on your phone for a directory for information on programs and services in your area.

    Available 24/7 and in 150 languages

    Addiction Services of Thames Valley

    If you are in crisis, please call: 

    Reach Out 24/7: 519-433-2023 or 1-866-933-2023
    The Support Line: 519-601-8055
    Walk in 24/7 at the Crisis Centre: 648 Huron St. London, ON

    • Consult with professionally-trained counsellors 
    • No restrictions related to age or gender


    Anova provides safe places, shelter, support, counselling, and resources for abused women, their children, and all oppressed individuals to find a new start.

    Call: 519-642-3000 or 1-800-265-1576

    Updated May 7, 2020